Since I didn’t run a fall marathon in 2011, I missed my usual turn to raise money for the American Cancer Society (ACS). Therefore, I’ve decided to do run this years Grandma’s marathon for ACS. The spring marathon opens up a couple of possibilities in the fund raising area – namely March Madness, The Masters and The U.S. Open. I’ll put up a post about each of them at the proper time with the full rules, etc, but here are my plans to get donations this year:
- I will run a bracket for NCAA basketball March Madness. I am working on getting restaurants and golf courses donate prizes which I can pass on to the bracket. The entry money ($10 per entry or 3 entries for $25)will be a donation directly to ACS from this site and participants play for the donated prizes.
- Run a Masters Pool. Instead of a bracket, participants pick four golfers, ranked in order of how they think they will do in the Masters. The total scores for the four players are added up, tie breakers are determined by the order of the picks and by the final round scores. The entry money ($10 per entry or 3 entries for $25) will be a donation directly to ACS from this site and participants play for the donated prizes.
- If I still have prizes to give out and people enjoyed the Masters pool, I’ll do the same thing for the U.S. Open – the cool part about this is that the tournament is going on the same weekend as the marathon. One of the Grandmas traditions is to watch a bit of the golf as I recover from the race.
You don’t have to participate in the Basketball and Golf pools to donate. We’ve raised a lot of money by people simply donating money – feel free to do that from here. I’ll add an additional $50 myself if I don’t set a PR!
My Hair/Look for Race Day:
I’m always up for a challenge on this one…I don’t have a lot of hair as I’ve vowed to make time for haircuts in 2012. I did start working on the Grandma’s beard a couple of weeks ago, so we can always get creative there. Some ideas I’ve come up with:
- If we go over $2000 – I’ll keep the beard and shave my head – Mad Dog Vashon style.
- If Clemson supporters donate $500* total I’ll keep a tiger paw on top of my head and shave the rest.
- If Gustavus supporters donate $1000* total, I’ll shave the crown in my head.
- If my Medtronic co-workers donate $750* total….I’m not sure, we can talk…star burns maybe?
* denotes not including total dollars from the pools and brackets.
Body Space Advertising
I’ve decided to go Nascar and for a donation worth $150, I’ll put your logo on an arm or leg for race day. Anything more than a logo on a leg or arm, talk to me, I’m flexible. Note this includes sponsors who donate prizes for the tournaments.
Glamour Shots by Al
Do you have something you want a photographed? Such as a family portrait for your Christmas card? A child’s sporting event? Let me know, for a $50 donation, I’ll work with you, I like photography (check these out from previous years).
I’m always open to ideas – please send them my way if you have them. Also – spread the word!!!